Thursday, April 16, 2015

M.A.S.K.



Who remembers the TV show M.A.S.K. and the toys that went with them?  

I LOVED this show.  Even when I was a kid, I was very picky about what cartoons I liked.  Basically there were 3.  GI Joe, Voltron (The lions, NOT the spaceships), and M.A.S.K.
For those that don’t know, let me borrow an excerpt from Wikipedia.


“M.A.S.K. (an acronym for Mobile Armored Strike Kommand) is a special task force featuring an array of characters, led by Matt Trakker, with transforming vehicles engaged in an ongoing battle against the criminal organization V.E.N.O.M. (an acronym for Vicious Evil Network Of Mayhem), with an emphasis on super-powered masks worn by the characters on the show.

It is never made clear what sort of criminal organization V.E.N.O.M. is, exactly. They were not the typical world-conquering villains and their schemes mostly revolve around profiting from illegal activities and doing mercenary services.”


Each character had a vehicle that would turn into something else… and they also wore a mask that had some kind of special power.  It might be a laser beam, or a beam that could lift heavy objects, or the ability to project holographic images.

The show was KICK ASS and I wanted to collect ALL the toys.  The very first one I got was Condor, which was a motorcycle that transformed into a single person helicopter.  It was ridden/piloted by Brad Turner.  

I remember going to my friend Stevens’ house in Highland park, NJ where I grew up and playing with his M.A.S.K toys because he had a LOT more than I did.


I highly recommend watching at least an episode or two of the show if you grew up in the 80’s.  Here is the intro to the TV show also. (How is it that 80’s cartoons had such killer music intros?!?)



 
For more info and to reminisce, here is a link to an AWESOME webpage dedicated to the show and toys.

No comments:

Post a Comment